Monday, August 1, 2011

#1 Feet Center

One of my #1 favorite things to do is get a massage.  I ask for a gift certificate to Nordstrom Spa each year for my birthday, Christmas, and Valentine's Day. So thanks to my husband, and my dad, I get to go fairly often.

But not really as often as I'd like.  I go every few months.  And each time I'm there, in my blissed out state, I pledge that I'm going to give myself this gift more often, like once a month.  But it just doesn't work out that I go that regularly.  Mainly because it feels like a lot of money to spend on myself, and just a little overly luxurious.  Because after all, who do I think I am?  A queen?

The other night, my friend Theresa came over.  She told me she had gone to some Chinese place for a foot massage.  She had never had a massage before, so she said she didn't really have anything to compare it to, but she said she liked it.  AND, she gave me a flyer from the place that had the pricing.
Take a look at that!  And look at the one that says, "70 minute combination (50 minute feet, 20 minute body).....$30"

THIRTY DOLLARS.  For 70 minutes.  Are. You. Kidding. Me?!?!

So the very next day, I tried convincing my husband to go with me to try it out.  But he said we didn't have time.  (I think there is always time for a massage, but he doesn't agree.)

I waited until the next day- today!- to head over there.  Although it's pretty near where I live, it's a bit of a sketchy area.  And I only mean sketchy if  you want to find others who speak English.  And I really did not.  So it was certainly not too sketchy for me!

When I walked into #1 Feet Center, located in a little strip mall with lots of other Chinese businesses, a lady handed me a menu, that looked like the pink flyer, and I pointed to the service I wanted.  (70 minute combo, of course!) Then she took me back to this dark little room with all these comfy lounge chairs everywhere, and brought me a big bowl of hot water to stick my feet in.

The lady who had assisted me up point then motioned over to something or someone, but I didn't understand.  She just giggled.  And so I giggled back.

And then a man came from the direction she had pointed and sat down in front of my chair. Oh no! I had hoped I'd have a lady masseuse, because in the past, whenever I get a male masseuse,  I've felt a little uncomfortable.  I'm a little modest maybe.  I'm not really sure why.  But it is what it is.   However, today,  with this language barrier, I decided to just go with it, rather than just shake my head no.  I mean really, what would I have done to communicate that I prefer a female masseuse in a friendly way?

I won't go into each and every detail of my massage, although I'd sorta like to.  I'll just say...
It was the best massage I've ever had in my whole life.
Very vigorous.  Almost painful at times.  But totally energizing and the whole time I kept thinking, this has got to be good for me.

Sometimes I get so relaxed during a massage that I fall asleep.  And in a way, that sucks.  I miss out because I'm asleep.  And sometimes I even start snoring!

But with this type of massage, I couldn't fall asleep because it was so invigorating. 

After I paid my masseuse, he pointed to himself and said, "George."  and handed me a business card flipped over.  I took that to mean I was suppose to write his name on it, and request him again next time.  And by next time, I mean next week.

I decided during my massage today I am going to this place on a weekly basis.  Of course I am!  I can find a way to cut back somewhere else. 

#1 Feet Center (hilarious name, don't you think?!), you are my #1!

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Glad you liked it Kerri!! I'll have to try George next time. I think that the foot massage really cleaned out my system... for reasons I won't describe here!! Wondering if you noticed anything???

Melissa Sarno said...

My friends always go to Chinatown to get massages. I haven't tried it yet. I need to find a 'George'. Sounds amazing!

Marie a la Mode said...

I wish we had a place like this to go for massages! Ours are $50.00 for 30 minutes which i think is a rip off!

Lisa said...

My husband went with me to one of these places and he was practically kicking and screaming all the way there. He said he didn't want a man touching his feet, blah, blah, blah. I ignored him and since the masseuse didn't understand English he just went about his routine. After it was over my husband said it was the best massage ever! Plus, we didn't have any idea what it would cost so when they said $60 for BOTH of us we were thrilled! Can't wait to go back!